Saturday, December 21, 2013

TRIP RECAP

Since I have been home, my two least favorite questions are, "Can you tell me about your trip?" and "What was your favorite country?"  It is hard to give a general statement about my trip because I feel like I did so much and each place I went was so different.  But if I had to give general statements about my travels it would be the following.  I am in love traveling. I'v learned more about myself and the world in the past 7 months than in any formal education.  I am not a different person but my world view and self perception has changed. I've learned that you should never judge a person or any place too quickly. What looks "bad" to you may only be bad from your point of view due to your upbringing and culture.  I have learned to take chances and put yourself out there but to also have your guard up, especially as a female.  Most importantly I feel like I have a new confidence that one can only gain when traveling by him/herself.  There are difficult moments but at the end of the day it makes you feel like you can do anything in the world. Traveling is addicting.  I do not feel like "I got it out of my system," but now realize there is still so much of the world I have not yet seen. I do not regret a single part of my trip and I am grateful for every second of it.

To answer the second question, which was my favorite country, I have to say that I cannot choose just one.  I can tell you my favorite thing about each country or the first thing that comes to mind.

Thailand-- Best vacation spot and best beaches
Vietnam-- Best food and best cities
Cambodia-- Best temples (Siem Reap)
Laos-- Most beautiful and best for adventures
Myanmar-- Feels the most "untouched"(so go sooner rather than later!); Nicest people in the world
Nepal-- Best place for a trek and to see mountains (so beautiful)
India-- Most intense, biggest cultural immersion, and most impactful

I did not meet many Americans traveling because Americans have this "live to work" mindset.  We don't take gap years, we don't quit our job and we don't take risks.  We need to learn how to live life.  Since I've been home I find myself quickly getting back into the American mindset and routine but I hope that I will always travel and I know that this trip has changed me.

I hope that this blog is helpful for anyone who is thinking of traveling.  My one advice for anyone who is debating a trip like this is  JUST DO IT.  Now is the time.  What is one year of your life in the long run?  Especially if that one year will make you a happier person.  Everyone who is older with a family and commitments regreets not doing a trip like this.  So do it now and I promise you will not regret it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment